The laying of a massive fire bomb at the home of the Rev. William Beattie - a bomb which if it had been successfully detonated would have roasted to death the Rev. William Beattie, his wife and his children - demonstrates once more the strength of terrorists and their power to strike in our Province.

After 14 years the I.R.A. and the I.N.L.A. are still in a position to lay such bombs and to carry out the most horrific of murders.

As a Church we return to Almighty God our heartfelt thanks for the preservation of our colleague and beloved brother in Christ, his wife and family.

The vigilance of one of Mr. Beattie's neighbours is to be praised. If she had not located the bomb then this article would have been an obituary notice to our borther, his wife and family.

In the will of our Sovereign God the murders were averted and a great deliverance experienced. For that deliverance we are deeply grateful. However, across our Province attempts to murder and bomb are being successful. The I.R.A. terrorists have now as great an effective striking power against the Protestant community as ever they have had, and the genocide of the Protestants continues. The British Government were prepared to commit vast numbers of men and money to deliver the Falkland Islands, some 8,000 miles away from London, from Argentine aggression. On the doorstep of London is Ulster, which is part of the United Kingdom. For 14 years the community that is law-abiding has been held to ransom by the Republican terrorists. Successive British Governments have not shown the will to win this battle, and in fact as one reads the signs across Ulster, Ulster is going to have in the coming days another terrible blood bath.

The time has come for the British Government to make an effective drive against the terrorists, or else to give the wherewithal to the Protestant community to defend themselves and rid their Province of the [3] murderers. If the authorities had spent the same diligence in tracking down known murderers as they have spent in trying to destroy the Third Force and harassing the Protestant community who are determined to defend themselves on the Border, then it would have been impossible for the I.R.A. to mount this terrible offensive, the fruits of which we are all tasting at the present time.

We can only conclude that the British Government and the authorities in Northern Ireland want to destroy the power of the Protestant people to resist the I.R.A. aggressors, and having destroyed that power to sacrifice the Province on the altar of political expediency.

It behoves every Protestant at this time to dedicate himself to God Almighty through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and determine come what may to resist every machination of the British Government and all the power of the Church of Rome allied to Republican terrorism and so to keep alight in Ulster the torch of Protestantism and freedom. This is our duty. Let us do it before God for ourselves, our families, and our future! [4]


After two years of much planning and a lot of hard work, the congregation of Sixmilecross Free Presbyterian Church saw their prayers answered and their toil rewarded, when their new meeting house was officially opened on Saturday 15th May 1982.

The roots of the separated witness in Sixmilecross go back many years, even beyond the formation of the Free Presbyterian congregation there. In the 1920's a group of men and women desired to have an evangelical witness in the village and area. They were denied the use of a local Orange Hall and after meeting in a barn for a period, they erected their own hall toward the end of the twenties. Since then the Gospel has been faithfully preached in that hall, through many hard and difficult times.

Often the membership was very small, but faithful and diligent men of God kept the door open - men like the late Bob Kyle and the late George Watson. In fact there were times when these two men would meet at the hall to find no-one else there. They would then pray together and return home, perhaps feeling downcast and discouraged, but all the time ensuring that the door remained open.

In more recent years the younger generation of those two families continued to bear the burden and maintained the testimony handed down. However, in the early seventies it became clear that if the work was to make any further impact, it would require a fresh zeal and impetus. Consequently the folk in charge invited the Presbytery to take the work over and this eventually took place.

In the late autumn of 1974 Omagh Youth Fellowship organised an evangelistic campaign which was held in the hall, the preacher being the Rev. Frank McClelland. The mission was a great success, as there was a great desire created to form a Free Presbyterian congregation. As it was, a congregation was formed and constituted in January 1975. Six months later Rev. John Greer was placed, by Presbytery, as student-in-charge of the work. The congregation continued to progress and grow and it soon became evident that a new building was essential, in order to really establish the testimony in the district. After much searching the present site was purchased, a 3 acre field, for just 6,500. This was in 1978 and in 1979 the debt was cleared and plans were made to build. Saturday 17th May 1980 saw the first sod being cut by Dr. Paisley and in June of last year, foundation stones were laid by Dr. Paisley and Mr. Greer.

The labour at the new building, which was designed by Mr. Jack Cassidy, was virtually all of a voluntary nature. As a result of this, the expense was kept down to a minimum. The building is valued at 100,000 [5] with furnishings worth another 15,000, yet the cost is approximately 45,000.

A large crowd attended the opening service with many ministers and members of other congregations being present. Dr. Paisley performed the opening ceremony after receiving the key from Mr. Cassidy and then Rev. Alan Cairns led in prayer. The service in the building was presided over by Mr. Greer with other ministers taking part. Dr. Paisley preached a powerful sermon from Exodus ch. 12, v. 1, on the theme of a new beginning. The total offering came to almost 5,505.45 and with other gifts to be received should reach the 6,000 mark.

The congregation at Sixmilecross are greatly encouraged and are seeking to press forward in that area. [6]

(A sermon preached by Dr. I. R. K. Paisley at Martyrs Memorial Church)

The seventeenth chapter of the Book of the Revelation is the Holy Ghost's graphic and dramatic exposure of the Roman Catholic system. The key to the chapter is its last verse, "And the woman which thou sawest is that great city which reigneth over the kings of the earth. "There was only one great city that reigned over the kings of the earth in John's day, and that, of course, was the city of Rome. Chapter 17, the Book of the Revelation.

I arrived in London last Thursday week to attend the debate on Priority Jim's Bill in the House of Commons. When I arrived, my police escorts informed me that they had a message from the police authorities, it was in the form of an ultimatum. They said, "We have been told to tell you that if you lift a placard during the Pope's visit along any road that the Pope travels, or if you make any verbal protest against the Pope as he travels that road, although your protest is entirely within the law, yet you will be instantly arrested and charged with conduct liable to cause a breach of the peace".

To say I was amazed is to put it mildly. The message came from where we were going to stage a very important protest, in Canterbury at the very heart of arch-traitor Runcie's territory. (I make no apology for calling him an arch-traitor. Archbishop Laud was sent to the Tower of London for less than Archbishop Runcie is guilty of, and I'm sure it was repugnant to you as it was to many thousands of people to see the slobbering, and you could call it nothing less - the slobbering of Runcie when he embraced the Man of Sin, the son of perdition, the Roman Antichrist whom C. H. Spurgeon said, "Call him not 'His Holiness', call him 'His Profanity'." That's a good name for the Pope, 'His Profanity').

I got in touch with the Assistant Chief Constable, Gibson, who sent me this message, and evidently he didn't want to speak to me. (There are a lot of police officers who don't want to speak to me. At the moment Jack Hermon is number one. You can well understand why!) I went to Willie Whitelaw, better known as Willie Whitewash, and I said to him, "Willie, this is a situation I will not tolerate". He said, "This could not be". I said, "Yes, so you say, but I know it happens to be a fact. I want something done about it". He said, "Well I will make enquiries. Come back to my office", and this I did, and the office told me that they had smoothed the way and they thought that everything would be all right, "but if there were any problems come back tomorrow". They didn't tell me that tomorrow [7] was a holiday, and that on Friday the Home Office would be closed down. Perhaps that was part of the ploy to get the whole thing out of their particular hands.

On the morning of Friday our ministers and their friends who accompanied them, (I was not present because I was making arrangements for other protests that we had to hold across England), and they made their way to the Victoria Station, and immediately they attempted to lift up their placards, when the Pope came along in his Pope cart (I think that is a good name for it!) they raised the banners, and they did not get them half-way up, they were set upon by belligerent policemen who lifted Mr Cooke off his feet; who caught Mr. Beggs round the neck, and who threw all our party against the wall, and our party sang lustily that hymn "I'm not ashamed to own my Lord, Or to defend His Cause", and the whole of the people there became absolutely silent, and the Pope in his pope cart actually turned round to see what was happening. It was a foretaste of more to come.

These men will tell their own story on Thursday evening, but they were taken to Bow Street Police Station, early in the morning, I suppose about 10 o'clock. I got in touch with Bow Street Police Station and they said, "We cannot tell you anything. We cannot tell how many people were arrested or who they are, and you cannot speak to them and you cannot get in touch with them". I was not happy about that, so I got on to Sir David McNee, who is the City Commissioner of London, and I lodged my protest with him, and they were to come immediately back on the telephone and tell me what was happening, but I got not reply so I got on the 'phone again and I asked why, and he said, "Oh, his assistant is just about to ring you". This was late in the afternoon about 5 or 6 o'clock. I said, "Look, I want to hear from this Assistant Chief Constable. If Sir David McNee won't speak to me, let him speak to me". He said, "Five minutes". Five minutes went to ten; ten to fifteen; fifteen to almost half an hour, so I rang back and they said, "Oh, we have got a Chief Superintendent Mann to speak to you". I said, "Mr. Mann I have a problem". He said, "What is your problem?" I said, "Your office has been dealing with this problem all day". He said, "Give me ten minutes". He rang back in ten minutes. He said, "Your friends will all be released. Go down to Bow Street Police Station and they will all get out". I went down to Bow Street Police Station. The Chief Inspector was waiting for me, he couldn't have been nicer; he brought me through and set me down in the office. He said, "I have been waiting for you to come all day". I said, "What?" He said, "I have been waiting for you to come all day". I said, "Inspector, I don't accept that. I was told by this very office that you would not allow me to see my friends". "Oh", he said, "There must have been a misunderstanding". I said, "There was a very big misunderstanding", and I said, "What is more, my friend Mr. Green was here on two occasions and you wouldn't let him in". He said to Mr. Green, "Were you here?" He said, "Of course I was here, and I will give you the number of the man who was [8] on the desk". Oh, he didn't want to talk any further, and he said, "Oh, it has all been a misunderstanding". So we went down to the cells and our brethren were getting all their bits and pieces back and signing their bail bond, but there was an Inspector there whom Mr. Green and I knew. He was a good Loyalist and he took us aside and he said, "It was orders from the top to hold these men all day". He said, "They should have been released in an hour from the time they were arrested, but orders from the top said, 'Hold them', and Mr. Paisley only you were in town and you were putting the pressure on with Sir David McNee's office they would not have been out tonight either".

I said, "In the morning when they come to court are you going to oppose bail?", and the police gave us to know that there would be no opposition to bail - that they would all be bailed.

The following morning we went to Horseferry Road Court, and Mr. Green and I sat in the public gallery, and I met the Court Inspector and the Clerk of the Court, and I was given to understand that there would be no opposition whatsoever to bail, but immediately the first case was called, of Mr. McDermott the student minister of Bangor, the Superintendent said, "We are opposing bail. These are dangerous men". Yes! I said to Mr. Green, "We are in trouble. The Magistrate is an Ulsterman, a Roman Catholic", and of course he was dead against us. He didn't say, "These men were alleged to have done these things". He said, "They did everything that they were alleged to do". The police said that one of them had called out death to the Pope, which, of course, is an atrocious lie, and immediately that was said, he said, "Oh, they were going to murder the Pope". Yes, think of it! He condemned them out of hand, and they were put on remand because he thought the Pope was going away on Tuesday, and he was going to hold them until the Pope was going away.

We then delivered to them their belongings so that they could have a change of raiment, and we thought the following day, on Sunday, our minister would get in to see them. I got a Solicitor, I got a Justice of the Court - the High Court - to hear the case. I thought we might get them released on bail, but the time was so short that we were unable to get them out through High Court proceedings. They were kept, and on Sunday after we took the proceedings to the High Court, then the fist came down upon them and these men were locked away twenty-three hours, fifty minutes out of twenty-four hours in the day. Two in a cell, and the cell size 9 x 6, and they refused to allow the Rev. Gordon Ferguson, who is one of our ministers and was acting as Chaplain to them, they refused to allow him to see any of them, and there they were kept. (They will tell the rest of the story no doubt and let you know just exactly how they were treated; persecuted for righteousness sake).

Our brethren were in prison; the ultimatum was on the table, and those of us who were left had to face up to the decision, and told by the police, "If you do what your brethren did you will be arrested too". [9]

I did, what my old father told me to do, he said, "Ian, when you are ever doing a job for the Lord and anything happens, you act as if nothing had happened, you just go on doing what you were going to do". I said, "After all if we are arrested in Liverpool, it is nearer to Ulster, and we have a Free Presbyterian Church in Liverpool now, so we will be at least among friends and not among the pagans of London. There will be a few Protestants there". So we headed to Liverpool, and when I arrived in Liverpool the police were waiting for me, I got in there about 11 o'clock at night, and they said, "We want to see you". I said, "You are not seeing me tonight. I am going to have a good sleep, and I will see you before the Service in the morning". They said, "The Assistant Commissioner and Chief Constable want to see you tomorrow morning". I said, "I will be at Church tomorrow morning. Let him come before the Service at 10 o'clock and I will see him". I slept the sleep of the just and rose in the morning ready for anything, and went to the Church and the Assistant Chief Constable was there and a Chief Superintendent in uniform, and they marched into the vestry and I offered them a seat. They said, "We want to tell you if you lift a placard, or make any protest within the law along the route that the Pope is taking, you will be instantly arrested". I said, "I seem to have heard that message somewhere before. You are not telling me anything". I said, "Now gentlemen, I have been in Liverpool many times". They said, "We know that". He said, "You have never given us any trouble before, and we don't want trouble". I said, "I am afraid you are going to have it, because it is not my fault, it is yours". I said, "Think of it. Have you thought about what you are saying? You are saying to a Protestant minister that if he dares, within the law, to make a protest against the Pope, you will arrest him and charge him with conduct liable to cause a breach of the peace. That is intolerable", and I said, "I will be making a protest, and my brethren will be making a protest". I said, "I will tell you what, I will give you a promise, I will not lift a placard, but the Liverpool men will be making their protest and we will stand right beside them, shoulder to shoulder. Now you make you choice. Do you think it would be a good thing to have Ian Paisley in jail tonight in this city with the tensions that are already in this city?" They said, "It would be a very bad thing". "There could be serious repercussions". I said, "Well you better think about it, for that is exactly what is going to happen if you try to push us". He said, "Well what would you like to do?" I said, "We will go along and pick a spot along the road that the Pope is going to come, and we will show you where we are, and when he comes we will make our protest but my party will not lift a placard, but the Liverpool men (after all it is their city) they will do that part and we will stand by them". He said, "Oh, I don't think we could accept that". I said, "Accept it or not, you have a lot of arrests on your hands". Away he went, and at the end of the meeting the Superintendent was back on his own, and he said, "We have seen the Chief Constable, he thinks you are a very reasonable man". I said, "I am glad he is learning". He said, "We are prepared to let you make your protests as you have said". [10]

I had a lot of unbelieving believers with me, and they said, "Ian, this is only a ploy. Once they get us all there they will arrest us". I said, "You are going to be arrested anyway, so you might as well be arrested together, but I am going to trust them". (And I will let you into a secret, I recorded what he said, I have it on tape, so that if there would be any comeback in the court I could say, "Your Worship, let us hear what he said, Listen to his promise". The Lord told me to be as harmless as a dove, and so I am, but to be as wise as a serpent, and so I am. Some people think I am a serpent, I am as wise as a serpent! That is only by the way!)

We went down and picked a beautiful spot where the Pope cart came down and then had to turn, so we saw him all the way down and then as he turned we got into close proximity, and we said to the police, "There". So we all went there four hours before thinking there was going to be a crowd. There was no crowd. You see, the Pope didn't have crowds. The only crowd he had in Liverpool were in Hope Street between the two cathedrals, and even then there wasn't much of a crowd, but where we were there were no crowds. We were the crowd, yes! Of course, when I arrived word got around the Romanists, and a woman came with half a brick to throw it through the police car window that I was sitting at. She called all my ancestors the worst names in the book but they didn't arrest her, they just took the brick out of her hand, put her through the barricades and put her with her own crowd of goats on the other side of the barricade. They didn't make any arrest for her. I said to them, "Look at that. My if I took a brick and said I was going to hurl it through the Pope cart, my feet wouldn't hit the ground. I would be arrested, but there are two laws in this country".

We gathered, and then the police marched in front of us, three rows of them with long sticks, and my men came up and said, "You have fallen into a trap". I said, "Trust the police", and I thought of my little tape recording, and I was greatly comforted, yes, and then I went down and stood with my friends and we were right along this entrance, and there we were. Then the police marched in behind us, and some of my brethren said, "Now you have had it, we are caught on both sides". I said, "You know, if we are going to be arrested we will be arrested for singing the National Anthem", and I said to them, "At a given time, at the right time I will give you the word, and we will all be singing the National Anthem, and every man from Liverpool will hold up his placard as we sing the Anthem". The Pope came down, and at the right time we started the Anthem, and everybody else was silent. The Pope thought, at first, that he was being welcomed with singing, but then the placards went up, and he got in the face placards with, "As for the Pope, I refuse him as Christ's enemy and Antichrist"; "Go home Pope, You are not welcome", and, my, what a protest we had and we sang the National Anthem, and when he came right level with us he got his hand up to make the blessing and it stuck, he couldn't get it down, he was flabbergasted; he couldn't get it down. We were singing, "Send her victorious, happy and glorious, [11] Long to reign over us, God save the Queen". There were no arrests. We all walked back to the Church. We had a great Service, and seventeen people came to the Lord - fifteen men and two women. I wondered why the Lord let the Pope come to Britain, I knew last Sunday night why the Lord let him come. God moves in a mysterious way! Sometimes we think we know more than the Almighty, but the Almighty knows everything, and He knows what is good and He works everything out after the counsel of His own will.

There was only one man arrested, and he was on the way home, he wanted to sing the Sash outside the Roman Catholic Cathedral, and he was arrested because he couldn't contain himself. He was the only man and he had nothing to do with the people of Northern Ireland.

Then we headed up to Edinburgh, and, of course, we were all in good form now. We felt that we had broken the ban. Protests had been made. Of course the Press were very angry. They said, "Why weren't you arrested? Why didn't you do this, that and the other thing?" I said, "That is exactly what you want us to do. We had our protest, and you said we wouldn't get along the route. We were there. You said we wouldn't raise our placards. We raised them. You said he wouldn't see or hear it, but he both saw and heard it". I said, "All you can say is, he blessed me. Now I want to ask you something. How could an old man in a landrover with glass over it, doing North, South, East and West have any affect on me standing at the roadside? If you believe that that is a blessing, then instead of brains separating your ears it must be sawdust that separates your ears." The nonsense of it all.

We got to Edinburgh and the Chief of Police in Edinburgh, through Pastor Cassells, sent word to us and said, "You had a good time in Liverpool. We have heard reports, and what you did in Liverpool you can do here, and we will not be taking any action against you". We had won the battle! We got as near to John Knox's statue as we could, right up in the Mound at the turn, so that when he went up in his Pope cart he had to stop and get out, and then go in and see the Moderator. (Let me say, the Moderator that received him will be received at the General Assembly meeting tomorrow night. I will be, picketing the General Assembly tomorrow night with my ministers) - that man who said that Pope Paul was his brother. I would like to see who the father was and the mother. He said he was his brother. (That Moderator is going to be welcomed at the General Assembly tomorrow night). Just like Donald Frazer who said on the radio programme that the Pope was his brother in Christ. He is not my brother in Christ, and I want nothing to do with him, he is an Antichrist, a Man of Sin and a son of perdition.

We got to Edinburgh and when we got there, my there was some crowd of people, and these Loyalists from Edinburgh were gathered in their [12] hundreds, and they were all singing a little song, I never heard it before:

"O, no Pope of Rome,
No chapels to sadden our eyes;
No nuns and no priests and no rosary beads,
Each day is a Twelfth of July."

My they were singing, and I said, "Pa Pa is going to have some welcome."

\We got into our position and we got our placards up, and a great crowd on the other side, all raised placards as well, and then the police started to march. I never saw more marching policemen in all my life in front of those who were going to protest. When the Pope cart came the Pope thought that this cheering crowd was all his friends, but when he saw the placards "Go Home Pope", "Jesus saves, Rome enslaves", my, I saw his bottom lip really going, and then there was a great push from the back of the crowd and the barricades started to give. I am telling you if they had given, the Pope would not have been back in Rome. I don't know where he would have been. We chanted, "Antichrist. Man of Sin", and when he got in to see the Moderator he could still hear the chanting, and one of my friends told me that in the quadrangle where the Moderator met him there was an echo, and the Pope thought there were people up at the windows shouting and he stood looking up at these windows, scared that the Protestants were about to take him over.

He came out again, he didn't stop to do North, South, East and West this time. Down the Mound he went as fast as he could go, and, of course, when he got down to the bottom of the Mound there was nobody around at all, and the news media, what did they say? They said, "Of course everybody in Edinburgh goes to bed early, that is why there is nobody on the streets". That is what they said on the media to try and excuse why there were no people around.

I was at an hotel where we had some tea, and there was only about half a dozen people at the side of the road. There was nobody there. I said to the boys, "It is a pity that we were not there we could have stopped the whole Pope cart and everything". There was nobody there.

In fact he was to have a million in Coventry. They didn't turn up. One man who spent something like 1,500 to get the site, and paid something like 5,000 to get things to eat, hamburgers and other things, and he couldn't sell them and he had to give them all away. Nobody wanted them.

One of the priests said today on the radio that they had completely miscalculated and they have got all their dear souvenirs still on their hands, nobody bought them. Hallelujah! I am glad of that!

You know, they have all believed the Pope's lie that he has millions of supporters in England. Every time they issue the number of Romanists in England they put on another 20, 30, 40, 50, 100 thousand, but they are not there. "A million in Coventry". They never turned up. "A million in Manchester". They never turned up. "Crowds like the Coronation and the Royal wedding", but they were not there. The Daily Telegraph said there [13] were more police than people, and they had to stand down hundreds of policemen who were not needed. Thank God for that!

I don't say the English people are for Protestantism but, thank God, they have more sense than to be for Popery. May the Lord help us to evangelise them!

Then, of course, we went on to Glasgow. The police there didn't keep their word. Our protests must have been too effectual. The Vatican authorities were getting enraged. The press, of course, was enraged. When the press is enraged you are doing a good job. The more they get enraged, the more effectual you are. I have known that for years. The police shifted us at Bella Houston Park, and we were not able to get as near to the Pope as we would have liked, but nevertheless our voices were raised, and if we were not able to get near the Pope we got near to hundreds of policemen, and had the joy of evangelising the police. Hallelujah!

I will never forget our brother Sam Houston, he was in the front line, and he thought he would give his testimony and he said, "You know, I was a fool for the Devil. In fact I was such a fool I would have bet even on a donkey". Man, even the police laughed. I said, "Well, they are starting to laugh, it is getting through". We had a good time there, and then I was invited by the Orange Institution of Scotland to address a meeting in St. George's Square. It was announced that the meeting was banned. That was done on purpose to keep people away, but we were there - and I must say from this pulpit tonight I was very disappointed with the attitude of the Orange Institution across the water. The Liverpool Orangemen decided to make no protest. The reason they gave was because Roman Catholics were members of Her Majesty's Forces fighting on the Falkland Islands, so they would not make any protest. Then in the morning the Grand Lodge officers met and decided not to support any protest against the Pope's visit at Bella Houston Park that day, but only to have the meeting. Well, the crowd at that meeting was very angry at the attitude of the Orange Order and they were not going to allow any body to speak but me, and when others tried to speak they actually tore down the microphone wires and cut them off. One man said that he was so angry because the Orange Order had not taken a strong stand that he didn't want to hear them, but I got an excellent hearing. I was able to put the case and put it well and God helped us, and the Grand Lodge officers said to me, as I was finishing, "Just close the meeting, for nobody wants to hear anybody but you, so you may as well close it". We sang the twenty-third Psalm and we closed the meeting.

Our protest went ahead. The ultimatum we rejected. I thought sure that I wouldn't be in this pulpit tonight. When I knelt down at my bedside in Liverpool I said, "Ian, you are for it, for if you raise a placard or do anything you will be run in". In fact one of the men - one of the policemen said, "Where is that geyser Paisley, let us get him". Yes, they were evidently out to get me, but here I am, and the protest has been made. [14]

I want to tell you something. The Free Presbyterian Church of Ulster is the only Church that took a bold, strong, militant stand, and my brethren in Scotland and England said to me, before I left, "Brother Ian, where would we have been if we hadn't your help and your support, and the help of your ministers and the help of your Churches? We would have been left". Thank God for the Rev. Brian Green who stood with us through thick and thin; Pastor David Cassells who is doing a brilliant job of work in Glasgow, God bless him! Our brother Gordon Ferguson as well, and even our brother Jack Glass buried the hatchet, and said, "Can I join with you too?" I said, "We welcome all who will stand for the Lord". I haven't changed. If he has changed, thank God, I hope he has, but as far as I am concerned all who fight the Lord's battles are welcome to join with us in our stand for God. This little Church despised and hated, thank God is come to the Kingdom for such a time as this.

There was one thing that made my heart burn with shame, the Free Church College - the Free Kirk of Scotland -Chalmers' Church, they have their College right on the Mound; they had an ideal site to display a great banner, but their College was shut up and there wasn't one squeak of protest from them. How sad!

I must pay tribute to the Rev. Sinclair Horne, who is the leader of the Scottish Reformation Society and a Reformed Presbyterian minister, who stood with us at the Mound and stood with us in St. George's Square. Thank God for the remnant testimony that doesn't bow the knee to Baal!

Are you here tonight and you are still not saved; you have not knelt at the Cross of the Lord Jesus Christ to receive Him as your Saviour? Oh, you believe in the Protestant faith and rejoice in Protestant liberty, but you have not come as a sinner to Jesus. Come tonight and be washed in the Blood of the Lamb! For Jesus' sake!




"Your fathers, where are they? and the prophets, do they live for ever." Zech. L 5.

In the preceding number of this work, allusion was made to the premature deaths of several of the early fathers of our church. As every thing connected with these venerable men is full of interest to their descendants, at the present day, we deem no apology necessary for subjoining the following particulars. The doctrines and the labours of those departed saints have already been laid before our readers. We now invite them to contemplate "their latter end," - to behold them supported by the power of that faith which they had so nobly and consistently maintained, and rejoicing under tribulations, that must have otherwise appalled the firmest heart.

The first of the brethren "that rested from their labours," was Josiah Welsh, of Templepatrick. He was the grandson of Knox, by Elizabeth, his youngest daughter. He held, for a time, the Professorship of Humanity in the University of Glasgow; and, to enjoy liberty of conscience, he retired to this country, at the suggestion of Mr. Blair, of Bangor, about the year 1626. Livingston thus describes his character and death:-

"Mr. Josiah Welsh, son to the famous Mr. John Welsh, was provided of the Lord to bring the covenant of grace to the people at the Six-mile-water. After preaching some time at Oldstone, he was settled Minister at Templepatrick, when he had many seals of his ministry. After he was deposed by the Bishop of Down, he continued for a time preaching in his own house; and his auditory being large, he stood in a door looking toward a garden, that he might be heard without as well as within. By this means, he being of a weak constitution, with faulty lungs, contracted a cold which occasioned his death. On the sabbath afternoon before his death, I heard of his sickness, and came to him about eleven o'clock at night, and Mr. Blair came about two hours thereafter. He had many gracious discourses, as also some wrestling and exercise of mind. One time he cried out, 'Ah! for hypocrisy.'On which Mr. Blair said, 'See how Satan is nibbling at his heels before he enters into glory.' A very little before he died, I being at prayer, before his bedside, and the word victory coming out in some expression of mine, he took hold of my hand, and desiring me to forbear a little, he clapped both his hands together, and cried out, 'Victory, victory, for evermore!' and then desired me to go on. Within a little time after he expired."

He died on Monday, June 23rd, 1634, and was buried at Templepatrick; where his humble grave was formerly marked by a tomb-stone, bearing appropriate epitaphs, in Latin and English verse. The stone, being accidentally broken, as we are informed, is not now to be found. Tradition, however, has preserved the following rude lines, as a portion of the English epitaph:-

"Here lies interred, under this stone,
Great Knoxe's grandchild, John Welshe's son;
Born in Scotland, and bred up in France,
He came t'Ireland the Gospel t'advance."

The next of the brethren who "fell asleep in the Lord," was Mr. Andrew Stuart, of Donagore, a parish immediately adjoining Templepatrick, in which he had settled as Minister about the year 1627. The following account of his death has been preserved:-

"Being called to the burial of that excellent man of God, Mr. Josiah Welsh, who was his neighbour Minister, he stood some time at the grave, as a sad observer of such a thing, and to some who were by, he said, 'Who knows who will be next?' But none answering, he said to them, 'I know', and thus turned away, and went home to Dunagor on his foot, and, entering into the church, did bolt the doors, where he tarried some two hours; and, after going to his house, he fell asleep on his bed, with an excess of grief, whence he never in health rose again, but was buried that day month. When his wife returned, whom he had left with Mr. Welsh's widow, she inquired what he had been doing; to whom he said, 'I have been taking my leave of the church of Dunagor; and I was there taking timber and stones to witness, that in my short time I had laboured to be faithful; and that according to my light, I have revealed the whole counsel of God to the people.' How great a testimony of conscience was this! After a fortnight's lying, a choice English Minister, at Antrim, came to visit him, and said,'l hope, sir, you do not rue that ye have been faithful.' He answered, 'I rue nothing, but that I was too long in beginning'; by which he meant his resisting, for several years, a call to the ministry, to which he had been much pressed; 'and I will tell you a strange thing which hath helped me to be faithful; these last seven years, there hath not one day passed me without thoughts of death, and renewed submission to it; yea, this made me neglect my body, which should have served the Lord, as if it had been the mire in the streets, which now troubleth me. 'That night, when he died, several godly and grave Christians were with him. For a long time he fell into a deep silence, which ended with heavy groanings, often reiterated. At last a Christian there desired to know what troubled him, but he refused to tell. At last being urged, he said, 'I shall tell you; my hair stands to behold what I see coming on these lands.' This was in the year 1634. Being further pressed, he said, 'The bloody wars of Germany shall never be balanced with the wars of these three kingdoms.' 'What do you speak, sir?' said one of the company; to whom he answered, 'The dead bodies of many thousands, who this day despise the glorious Gospel, shall lie upon the earth, as dung, unburied.' And whilst they asked him, 'What then shall become of us, and our posterity?' he lifted up his voice, and said, 'He that is for the sword, to the sword; he that is for captivity, to captivity; and he that is for famine, to famine; and God shall be avenged on these lands.' And whilst one said, 'Is there no remedy?' he cried thrice, 'No remedy, no remedy, no remedy!' Then he held his peace a little, and said, 'I tell you what must be, the broken covenant of Scotland must be renewed; the formality of Ireland must be purged; the prodigality of England removed; and the sons of Saul hung up before the sun'; by which last words none knew what he meant. Some of his own parish being present, asked what he would say to them; to whom he replied, 'Woe to thee, Dunagor; for the nettles and the long grass shall be in greater plenty in thee than ever were people to hear the word of God!' This the relater was a witness to, for three years together after the late rebellion. They asked if he would have his children; he said, 'No, I have done with them'; and whilst they mentioned one of his daughters, he desired to be forborne and said, they would see glorious [30] days after all this. He then took his wife by the hand, (who having but a fortnight lain in of child, crept out of the bed to get and give a long farewell), and said to her, 'Thou hast in faithfulness suffered many things with me in my pilgrimage, and now wherewith shall I comfort thee, my love; (think that he left her with four children, much debt contracted whilst he resisted a call to the ministry, and but thirty shillings sterling then to do all with), a father, to the fatherless; a judge to the widow is God, to his holy habitation. As God is God, thou shalt never want, nor none of thine; but in all the sad days that are coming, you shall be a wonder of mercy to every place whither you are carried, and not a hair of your head shall fall'; which was, to the conviction and edification of many, fully accomplished."

This devoted servant of God, died in September, 1634, aged 36 years. His tomb-stone remains to the present day in the church-yard of Donagore.

Our limits will permit us to insert only the following brief notice of the last moments of Mr. Robert Cunningham. He had been Chaplain to the Earl of Buccleugh's regiment, in Holland-settled in Holywood, in the county of Down, in the year 1615 - was deposed in the year 1636, by Bishop Leslie - and died at Irvine, on the 29th of March, 1637. Livingston thus speaks of him:-

"To my discerning, he was the one man who most resembled the meekness of Jesus Christ, in all his carriage, that ever I saw; and was so far reverenced of all, even by the wicked, that he was oft troubled with that Scripture, 'Woe to you when all men speak well of you. One time, Echlin, the Bishop of Down, threatening Mr. Blair with a prosecution against him and Mr. Cunningham, and certain other of his brethren, Mr. Blair said, 'Ye may do his brethren, Mr. Blair said, 'Ye may do with me, and some others, as you please, but if every ye meddle with Mr. Cunningham, your cup will be full.' And, indeed, he was longer spared than any of the rest, which was a great benefit to the flocks. For when they were deposed, he preached almost every week in one or other of their kirks; and so with great pains, at home and abroad, he did wear out his body, which was not very strong. I was with him when he died at Irvine; at which time, among many other gracious expressions, he said, 'I see Christ standing over Death's head, and saying, Deal warily with my servant, loose now this pin, then that pin, for this tabernacle must be set up again.' The members of the Presbytery of Irvine having made him a visit, he exhorted them to be faithful to God and his cause, and to oppose the use of the English Liturgy, which was then urged by the bishops. 'The bishops', said he, 'have taken my ministry from me, and I may say, my life; for my ministry is dearer to me than my life.' A little before his death, his wife sitting upon a couch at his bed-side, with his hand in hers, he did, by prayer, recommend the whole church, the work of God in Ireland, the parish of Holywood, his suffering brethren in the ministry, and his children to God: and, in the end he said, 'O Lord, I recommend unto thee this gentlewoman, who is no more my wife'; and, with that saying, he softly loosed his hand from hers, and gently threw her hand a little from him. Upon which, she, and some others in the company, having fallen a weeping, he endeavoured, by many gracious expressions, to allay their grief."

Num. xxiii, 10, "Let me die the death of the righteous; and let my last end be like his." Psal. xxxvii, 37, "Mark the perfect man, and behold the [31] upright; for the end of that man is peace." Dan. xii, 3, "They that be wise, shall shine as the brightness of the firmament; and they that turn many to righteousness, as the stars for ever and ever." Rev. xiv, 13, "And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth; Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them."


Pastor Andrew Kendagor writes:-

Looking back to the beginning of the year (1981) we really rejoice to see what God is doing. The work 'in Karapokot has really prospered. Praise God for enabling you friends to share in this ministry through prayers as well as material giving. Not forgetting those who took time to write to us.

Our schools are growing. The number of the school children has more than doubled since last Christmas. God miraculously provided the needed finances to keep the schools going. They have not missed a meal because you have cared to be able to pray and even contributed financially.

God called these children in different ways. It was during last year's Christmas day. There was fear of a possible raid from Turkana tribesmen at the same time, people were happy because it was a great day. Just as our worship service was going on, we heard a cry and everyone rushed out in fear. It was later on learned that a boy had fallen from a rock and had hurt himself badly. The boy was taken to hospital. When he was discharged, he decided to stay in school. He is now doing well. One boy and his mother came to our station wanting a lift to Kapenguria in order to visit his grandmother. Since there was no room in the car, we took the mother alone. Since that the boy has stayed in school. Our children are learning more and more to trust upon God. They need your prayer support. Do you want to share in the lives of these boys and girls? Pray about it. [32]

Christmas day is a day of joy to all who love the Lord Jesus. God gave his son to die for our sin. He died for you and me. In the western countries, it is a time of giving gifts. In Africa it is a time of buying expensive clothes. Our churches look upon it as a time to give to God according to our ability.

The children in Pokot do not have these privileges. They do not have the simple clothes let alone the expensive ones. The last new clothes most of them had were bought in January 1981. To some that was their first clothes they ever had. Why not let God use you this year and offer your "Gold" to God through these poor children and have a part in the ministry. Take time to pray for these poor boys. Pray that God will continue to bless his children.

The presence of these children are opening doors for us to minister to their parents too. My family is fine and God has blessed us with nine children of our own and of course ninety school kids. What a large family. God has always been good to us.

If you have some children's clothes that are not in use anymore, why not help pastor Kendagor by sending them to him. Clothes should be put in a small box or pack, well sealed, and with the words "For free distribution" marked on the pack, both back and front, and addressed to:-

P.O. BOX 91

Anyone sending clothes should inform the Church Missionary Council representatives so that a check can be kept by the Council of how many parcels are sent.

G. McC.